NYU Stern School of Business | Groups



Identification/Driver's License

  • You do not need a driver's license or state ID, but it can be helpful. Most students get by fine without one. For more details, please see NYU's FAQs.
  • A valid driver's license is needed to drive within the US.
  • A photo ID is required when going to bars and buying alcohol (carrying your passport or non-US identification can be a hassle).
  • To obtain a driver's license/state ID, you will need a Social Security Number (SSN) or a letter stating you are ineligible for one (obtain this from the school).
  • NYC offers a photo identification card for New York City residents under the IDNYC program.